KBMOD Extra Life Podcast Build Guides Reviews Battlestations Join Us Merch Multistream About

Sass command not found

Calling my fellow GNUUUUUUUUUUUUU nerds @seanbutnotheard and @wade_dev. I am trying to get Sass working on my system but am having issues as the command is not found. I think it’s related to my $PATH.

PATH = /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/devon/.gem/bin

which gem = /usr/bin/gem.

Sass seems to be installed in ~/.gems/ruby/2.4.0/gems/sass-3.4.24/

Does Sass have its own executable somewhere? Or is it something that runs inside of Ruby? (Sorry I"m not very familiar with Ruby in general.)

I am not sure. I just know it’s a Ruby gem.

I’m guessing you didn’t install Sass using your distro’s package manager… so maybe you do need to add the right path to your $PATH. I’d poke around your ~/.gems to see if there is a bin directory in there somewhere and add it to your $PATH.

PATH="$PATH:/home/devon/.gems/ruby/2.4.0/bin" or wherever it happens to be. If you get it working, you can add that to your ~/.bash_profile.

I remember having this issue and I just decided to do yaourt ruby-sass and that fixed my needs. It installed Sass and fixed my issue.

The thing I also find weird is my path having /home/devon/.gem/bin. There is not a bin folder in that dir.

Little update to this issue which has now been resolved. I kind of gave up on it and fixed it quickly today. I’d neglected to add the correct Ruby directory for gems to my path.

Using PATH="$(ruby -e 'print Gem.user_dir')/bin:$PATH" from the Ruby Arch Wiki topic added the proper path.