KBMOD Extra Life Podcast Build Guides Reviews Battlestations Join Us Merch Multistream About

Post Your Battlestation

Since no one’s submitted a battlestation in approximately one eternity, here’s my newest setup.

PCPartPicker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/seanbutnotheard/saved/DwJ7P6

You’ll notice there are two GPUs, but no SLI bridge… that’s because one of the GPUs is dedicated to a Windows 10 virtual machine. The host OS is Arch Linux.

Ok now post your setup!

Edit: Pupper tax

My gaming pc stopped working, I just have this now. Oh and the laptop is an XPS 13, 9350 Developer Edition. It sucks, don’t buy it.

I have since, bought a new keyboard that helps with ergonomics. I removed the older pictures and replaces them with new ones.

I appreciate your honesty! :smiley:

Your setup looks amazing btw. Glad to hear you’re still rocking Arch.

Updated my original post with a new picture.

@seanbutnotheard Did you get a good deal on 5920K / X99 in 2016? Also, how was your experience with IOMMU and passthrough? I assume you also did the virtualization via KVM?

@wade_dev No Starch Press :smile:

Do you hate your XPS 13 simply because it’s the older version with the mediocre dual core and 8GB RAM max, or is there more specific reason(s)?

I sold my desktop to a friend a few months ago because now that I am done with College, I had this completely overkill laptop lying around that I’d lose way too much money on if I sold it, and it’s only marginally slower than my previous 3770K + GTX 670 setup.

• Sager NP8651
  • i7-5700HQ
  • 16GB 1866 DDR3
  • 250GB 850 EVO M.2
  • GTX 970M
  • Dell U2515H 25" 2560x1440 IPS
  • HP w2007 22" 1680x1050 (FREE)
  • VIVO arm
  • CMStorm MX Brown Keyboard
  • MX Performance mouse
  • FiiO E10 Olympus DAC/AMP
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
  • Modmic 4

I’d like to get an arm with a tray for the laptop.

Setup is a mess, but for me it’s pretty hard to reach to do cable management and such. At least the parts I see are fairly neat for my sanity.

@Wheelzz I don’t recall getting any particular discount or deal at the time I got the CPU & mobo. I just went with it since I knew I’d want a lot of threads for virtualization.

The passthrough setup wasn’t terribly difficult, if perhaps a bit tedious to set up. I followed the guide at https://vfio.blogspot.com/ and cross-referenced the appropriate Arch Linux wiki pages when needed. The main issue I ran into was the dreaded “Error 43” that the Nvidia drivers throw when they detect that they’re in a VM. For some reason I had some trouble getting the workaround to stick, but it eventually did. It’s been a pretty stable setup even with various Windows 10 and Nvidia driver updates. I did start playing around with Looking Glass for seamless access to the VM, and while it’s really cool technology, I generally prefer having direct access to the VM using a USB switch and the second HDMI input on my monitor.

do you do a lot of virtualization outside of Windows VM?

At work, yes… we use Proxmox which is basically just a specialized Debian-based distro with its own web interface and clustering engine. It uses KVM as a hypervisor, though also supports OpenVZ containers.

Ah, I see. So, you work remote?

Also, I was thinking of using Proxmox as part of my home server but I’ll probably do Open Media Vault + Docker for services like Plex and Nextcloud.

No, though I probably could work remotely as most of what I do involves an SSH connection or a web interface…

Yeah if you’re just isolating apps, a container system like Docker makes sense. We have a combination of Windows and Linux servers, and we like to be able to do live VM migration between hosts, so KVM it is for us.

All I really want is ZFS Raid and drive management through something like Open Media Vault, and isolation of all my media services, so it seems reasonable to simply do so with Docker or similar on OMV. I was going to do Proxmox with OMV and Ubuntu for containerized services, but this adds a lot of complexity for my first server, and more overhead. I only have 2C 4T and 16GB ECC.