KBMOD Extra Life Podcast Build Guides Reviews Battlestations Join Us Merch Multistream About

MUO's Ridiculous Article About why youu Shouldn't run Linux

So, earlier today I was browsing Reddit and stumbled across a link to a recent article written by the folks at Make Use Of. The article in question explains why the author feels you shouldn’t use Linux over Windows – Forget Linux: 10 Reasons You Should Stick With Windows – and it’s pretty ridiculous if you ask me. As a long time Windows user (perhaps better read as fanboy) that dabbled in Linux in VMs, but switched to using Linux daily about 6-months ago, I figured I’d give my breif thoughts on the points made in this article.

1. It drives me crazy that the lack of compatability of a few specific applications and software suites is commonly brought up in an effort to show that Linux has a lack of software. Sure, the lack of programs like those from Adobe is a valid point and potential deal-breaker if one depends on those applications, but it shouldn’t be used as the poster child for lack of software on Linux. For the most part one can find very adequete or even better FOSS alternatives to those used on Windows.

2. I don’t even know what to say to this, and I don’t know that it’s even worth dignifying with a response, but saying that software updates are lacking on Linux is just plane silly to me. Sure, if you’re using a distro like Debian stable, you’re updates will be few and far between, but that’s not really a problem with Linux as a whole. There are plenty of distros that receive updates without being unstable.

3. Sure, the sheer number of distrobutions can be daunting to new users, but it’s hardly a con with Linux. In fact, the options available is a big part of what makes Linux great IMO. Jump into Linux with a popular and stable distro like Ubuntu or Fedora, and switch if you feel you will benefit.

4. Yeah, Linux can present bugs at times, especially if using a bleeding-edge rolling-release distro like Arch, or the rolling Debian or SUSE variants, but bugs are just as present in Windows in my experience. When using release-based distros focussed on stability I’ve had less problems than on Windows, save for a few proprietary driver issues.

5. How many times have you contacted Microsoft support with an issue and not been told to either reinstall Windows or contact the manufacturer of your system? There is plenty of support on forums for Linux users. Sure, sometimes it can be a bit hostile in regards to distros like Arch, but if you’re new to Linux you should be using a distro that’s better suited to new users, with support groups willing to help – like Ubuntu – or be willing to learn and struggle through problems.

6. This is only really a problem when it comes to proprietary drivers for the likes of GPUs and wireless devices. It’s also a problem that’s always improving. Graphics switching on laptops with integrated and dedicated GPUs for example is a huge pain on Linux. It’s worth noting I’ve had plenty of issues with drivers on Windows as well.

7. This is an extremely valid point if you play a lot of AAA games — the support just isn’t there. However, take a look through the Steam Linux library, and you’ll realize there are actually tons of quality games available for Linux these days. There’s more options than you’d get with a modern game console!

8. Pretty much the same as point 6 in that it can be valid but for the most part is pretty solid save for some proprietary drivers. This is also improving regularly.

9. Sure Linux can be complicated at times, but so is Windows when you try to get under the hood. Popular Linux distros and DEs will provide graphical tools similar to those in Windows in terms of functionality and ease of use for the tasks most people need to perform with their OS.

10. The GUI install process of popular desktop distros these days is similar to that of Windows. You can also buy some laptops and desktops with Linux already configured.

I feel like this whole article is writtem by a person that is basing their opinion on Linux on their experience using Linux 10-years ago. I’m not going to sit here and say Linux is perfect, because there’s areas where it is lacking, but the same can be said for Windows. I just don’t like how many false information is written about Linux these days that paints a bad picture.

Look, use whichever OS you feel works best for your needs, but don’t hate on an OS when you don’t actually know what you’re talking about.

Sounds like the same arguments people have been making for 20 years, and will probably be making for at least the next 20. I agree that it sounds like the author hasn’t tried a recent desktop distro.

I think articles like this often stem from the author’s unwillingness to learn something new and/or a lack of curiosity. I’m a certifiable Linux fanboy, but I still like to try out newer versions of Windows to see what is different (and what they’re still getting wrong imo). My curiosity also makes me interested in trying out obscure and/or retro OSes and PC systems, and when I try them out I always learn something new even if the technology is old or uncommon. I guess that might explain why I like the variety and challenge that the *nix world offers.

Yeah, coming from Windows one of the things I like most is the freedom to tailor my system to my own workflow and preferences.

Support for Linux seems to be improving everyday, despite holding < 2% of the desktop OS marketshare last time I looked. This is especially true with enthusiast grade hardware IMO (save for Nvidia). I think this is likely due to companies realizing that the same group that buys this hardware is also counts for a good portion of the Linux community.

I forgot to mention it in the OP, but I cringed so hard at:

Microsoft has a phenomenal budget and employs hundreds of people whose only job is to test and refine the operating system. Linux doesn’t. Even the most widely-used distros are operated by what is essentially a group of enthusiasts operating on a shoestring budget.

1. This should mean Windows is even farther ahead of Linux than the article claims if this entire statement were true.

2. I guess Redhat, Cannonical, IBM, Google, AMD, etc, that make contributions to Linux in one way or another are really strapped for cash :joy:. Just look at all the work Valve has done with Linux integration and SteamOS, or AMD with their open source drivers and support for IOMMU on Ryzen, etc.

I keep Windows installed for a few games that may not run under Linux, or when I need to pop in to Visual Studio to fiddle with some C# from school for my portfolio or something, but those times are few and far between. I barely game these days, and when I do most of them work on Linux.

If you like Windows then go ahead and use it. I was a sole Windows user for 99% of my time using computers, and I had a lot of the same views regarding Linux. I think people need to learn about the true advantages of Windows / Linux / OSX and use what works best for them instead of spreading false truths.

Maybe this is why there’s all of a sudden people arguing against Linux with old irrelevant arguments?

I’d say that’s very likely. Will Linux support and usage slowly growing more people seem to be advocating the use of Linux, which also leads to fud like this.

Also, great news! I was under the impression Linux was still hanging about 1.9%.